Club Records

Our club has seen a lot of good archers over the years, and we have kept note of the best scores for the club's record books.  These are not just standard rounds, but also encompass non-rounds such as the Perris League's half-Portsmouth for Juniors, and the 252 scheme (see below in awards for details).  There are different records for different category of archer (Gents/Ladies, Senior/Junior age groups, bow style), and there are some records which will be quite feasible to achieve (or set in the case of no-one having shot them before!)

For County records, visit this page for details on the claims procedure and select the appropriate category of records from the "Records Awards and Badges" menu.

For EMAS records, visit this page for details of the current EMAS records with claims procedure.

BLCAC Club Records - March 2020 (pdf)



Available awards

There are many award schemes available in archery, for example, badges for scoring higher than a particular score for a round, or shooting 6 golds in one end in an outdoor competition.  A list of what Archery GB offer can be found on their website.

Our club offers the following awards for our members, which can be very useful as a way to help monitor your progress as well as being a bit of an incentive to try and do your best to improve your score.

Indoor - Portsmouth Badges

You can get a badge for achieving a round above certain scores.  Our club awards badges starting at 500. If you manage to shoot a round which is higher than 500 you will be able to claim a Portsmouth badge.  We will award badges for scores of 500, 525, 550, 575, 580, 585, 590, 595, 600.  Note that once you have claimed one badge, you can never go backwards.  So if you scored your first 500+ round with 529, then you will receive a 525 badge, but you will not be able to claim a 500 badge at a later date.

Outdoor - Classification badges

There are six classification levels: the lowest is third class, then second class, first class, Bowman, Master Bowman, and Grand Master Bowman at the highest classification level.  Archery GB produces tables detailing exactly what scores you need in each round to hit a certain classification. The scores required for a classification can be found in the Shooting Administration Procedures.

To gain a classification you need to shoot three scores that meet that classification level. The highest two classifications, Master Bowman and Grand Master Bowman, can only be achieved with scores achieved at record status competitions. Once you achieve a classification you cannot go back and claim a lower one.

You can hold different classifications for different bow types, but you can only hold your classification for the calendar year in which you shot your qualifying scores. You must re-qualify each year to maintain it.

Outdoor - Frostbite Badges

In 2019, the club reintroduced shooting a Frostbite round during the winter months.  This round also offers badges at various scores.  The scores you need to get for the badges are 275, 300, 315, 330, 340, 350, and 355.  As for the Portsmouth badges you will not be able to claim a lower badge once you have claimed a higher one.

Outdoor - 252 Badges

The 252 award scheme is designed to help you practice your shooting at different distances and recognise your achievements.  After 6 sighters, you shoot 3 dozen arrows on a 122cm face at your chosen distance. The round can be shot at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 80 or 100 yds with the aim of scoring 252 or better (alternative scores apply for other bow types).  A 252 must be the first or part of the first round shot on that day. 

252 was chosen as it is an average of scoring 7 with each arrow.  The difference with the 252 badge is that you need to do this twice for a distance before being able to claim a badge.  However, the same concept applies in that if you gain a 252 badge for distance, you can not later claim a badge for a shorter distance.

Submit your scores!

The only way to receive awards or gain club records is to ensure you send your scoresheet to the Records Officer (Alex Petts).  Either hand it to him on the night or send electronically to

Additionally to this, any claims for county or regional records MUST be scored on paper and signed by a member of the committee